Monday, August 6, 2007

Since I haven't Posted in a While...

Since, I haven't posted anything in a while thought it might be nice to post some random photos that I've taken over the last few months. All of these were taken with my phone, so the quality isn't quite up there with previous posts, but hey, the point if for you to see them, not for you to hang on your wall.

The above is a shot of the Bahrain World Trade Center, which is still in the midst of being built (obviously). The amazing thing, as I'm sure you can figure out on your own, is that there are three 20 meter wind turbines suspended between the two towers. They were originally estimated to produce approx. 10-15% of the two building power requirements, but nowa re projected to produce even more. No one has ever put turbines that big so high up (they usually have to stand by themselves). That little fact, combined with the realization that the two towers serve a huge funnels, channeling air into the turbines, means that they think they can pump out 40% of the required power. Super cool if you ask me.

A nice view out the window of the room I stayed in at Louis and Steve's flat on the Palm Jumeirah. Life sure is rough sometimes...



Mark driving Souheil and I to a meeting... we think we're lost.



A quick shot of a fire I saw last Thursday on the way out of the office. Things are being built so quickly here that there are corners being cut left and right, leaving the potential for accidents like this. I think this is something like the 5th or 6th fire in the last year or so...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick,
Perhaps not appropriate for this site, but please say 'Hello Leah!, from Darlene in Boston MA from the 'Mother's Support Group' back in 1981/82.